Curry Puff

by - September 21, 2011

  
Curry Puff is one of Thai dishes  influenced by Indian cuisine(if I am not mistaken). It is a crispy snack sized pastry filled with "thick curry", that can be found in Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore. 


When I was in Kuala Lumpur, I was surprised to see this delicious pastry in many Indian food stalls.  To my eyes, Indian puffs looked exactly the same as Thai's. However, their taste weren't.  While Indian curry puffs are usually spicy, Thai curry puffs tend to be sweet savory. 



In Thailand, curry puffs become so popular that manufacturers develop incredibly many new different fillings such as, salted egg, green pea, taro, pineapple, grapes, strawberry or even durian. I kid you not.  


Today I am going to share with you authentic and delicious chicken curry puff's recipe


Ingredients for filling 


 250 grams of finely diced chicken breast
1/2 cup finely chopped onion 
125 grams of diced sweet potatoes  
2 tablespoon soy sauce  
 1 tablespoon curry powder
2 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoon vegetable oil 
                                                          1.5 teaspoon ground pepper
1.5 teaspoon salt


Outer layers
 2 cup all purpose flour
 1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon sugar
 1.5 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoon water

Inner layers 
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup vegetable oil 

Method 

Make the filling first. Heat oil in the pan. Add in onion, stir fry until soften. Then add in chicken, sweet potatoes, curry powder, soy sauce, sugar, salt and pepper. Cook until the mixture is dry and cooked. Leave to cool completely before using. 

  
Outer layer

Mix together, flour, oil, sugar, salt and water. Knead well to form a smooth dough. Allow the dough to rest for 20-25 minutes. Divide into 10 portions. 

Inner layer
Mix together flour and oil. Knead well. Allow the dough to rest for 20-25 minutes. Divide into 10 portions. 


1) Wrap the inner layer with outer layer. Then allow the dough to rest for another 20-25 minutes.



    2) Flatten the dough and roll it up. Repeat twice and divide into 4 portions. 



3) Roll the dough into circle and fill with a spoonful of curry filling. Fold into half and pleat the joint edges. 

4) Deep fry puffs over low heat until golden brown. 

And after 3 hours in the kitchen, I have it. 

Believe me, nothing likes freshly made curry puffs.  








You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. This looks soooo delicious! I love Thaifood and if my husband ask me what I want to eat, I always say Thaifood. I'm not sure Thai restaurants in California is considered authentic (even though it's Thai owned), but I really enjoy it. My brother lives in Koh Tao too. We love Thailand I guess. :-) Now I know you live in Tokyo! :-) How's Thaifood in Tokyo... acceptable? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks you for your comment, Nami.
    I heard that a lot of Thai restaurants in California serving really good Thai foods. However, most of them are not considered authentic. Never mind, I'll have anything delicious whether it's authentic or not.:-)
    To me,Thai foods in Tokyo are pretty delicious, even though they are "Japanized" version.
    I have never been to Koh Tao.. so jealous of your brother. :-)

    ReplyDelete