Shrimp Porridge

by - October 22, 2011


Breakfast is really important meal to me (and anybody else, of course). I hardly tempt to go without it. I always start every morning with nutritious traditional Japanese breakfast consisting of steamed rice, grilled fish and miso soup.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough miso soup's recipe to rotate within a week so sometimes we (my family) get bored. Then I would make something else and Thai foods always come to my mind.:-)

In contrast to Japanese, Thais don't have traditional breakfast. Thai breakfast could be anything: a bowl of noodles, sticky rice with grilled pork, curry over steamed rice,  fried rice , stir fried noodles, dinner's  leftover, etc. 

If I have to name just one food that most associated with breakfast, I would definitely say "porridge".  

In many households, porridge is often eaten as a breakfast dish often with the addition of pork, shrimp or chicken. The rice can be cooked by boiling in the pork or chicken broth or separately, ladling the broth to it just before serving. My favorite is the latter.    

Today, I am sharing with you one quick and easy idea for "the most important meal of the day." 
Below is my favorite shrimp porridge recipe.  

Ingredients 
make 1 serving 

80 grams shrimp
250 cc. chicken stock (please refer to Sukhothai noodles for the recipe)
1 cup steamed rice 
1/2 teaspoon oyster sauce
2-3 dashes fish sauce 
little pepper
little oil 
4-5 cloves of Thai garlic, peeled and grounded   
shredded ginger and coriander for garnish (optional) 
fried garlic for garnish 

Method 
  • Marinate the shrimp with oyster sauce, fish sauce, garlic and pepper for 15 minutes. 
  • Heat up the wok with oil, stir fry shrimp until is done. Set aside.  



  • Place the rice in a serving bowl , top with shrimp, shredded ginger, corriander and fried garlic.
  • Bring stock to the boil. Then ladle hot stock over the rice.  Serve hot.


 








    You May Also Like

    2 comments

    1. I want to start a day with this porridge. Looks so yum! Oyster sauce and fish sauce combo is interesting. I definitely need to give it a try! Gosh this is better than regular Ochazuke!

      ReplyDelete
    2. We seldom use prawns in porridge. I definitely want to try this.

      ReplyDelete