Pad Thai

by - November 23, 2011

Pad Thai is one of world popular dishes from Thailand. It is so famous that we hardly ever need to give any "English explanation" when talking about it with foreigners. 
  
All of my Japanese friend knows "Pad Thai", in exactly the same way that all of my Thai friend know "Ramen". 

I had never shared Pad Thai recipe , though it was frequently requested by my Japanese friends. But,please don't think that I had some secret recipes, which I was reluctant to share. I didn't.  There was simply two main reasons. One : there's tons of Pad Thai 's recipe already available on line.  I didn't know what else to offer. Second, I had absolutely no idea about how to fire up delicious Pad Thai. (Please keep reading.)

Until recently, I was planing a trip to Thailand and was thinking about where to go and what to eat there. Then my all time favorite Pad Thai dish did come to my mind. It was heavenly tasty Pad Thai which I had at beautiful Railay bay, Krabi, southern of Thailand.  The hotter version of Pad Thai served there was succulent and flavorful. It was different from what I had in Bangkok and was even more delicious!! 

Then I asked the Pad Thai vendor if she could share the recipe. To my surprise, she just said "yes".  I was so happy , though I believed there was some secret ingredients and techniques left out.  Pad Thai recipe I shared with you today was developed after talking to the generous vendor  3 years ago. 


Ingredients  ( 1 serving) 
70 grams dried rice noodles
2 shallots
4 dried chillies 
1 tablespoon dried shrimp
50 grams extra firm tofu, cut into small pieces 
15 grams chives, cut into 2 inches pieces
20 grams beansprouts
1 egg
4-5 shrimp
3-4 tablespoon cooking oil 
some ground peanuts 
a lime wedge
Pad Thai sauce (makes 7-8 servings)
150 ml. tamarind concentrate
80 ml. fish sauce
100 grams palm sugar
1/2 tablespoon chillies powder 


Method
1. Soak the noodles in lukewarm water for 15 minutes or until they are soft. Drain well.  
2. Meanwhile, soak dried chilies in some water until soft, drain well. With the pestle and mortar or food processor, process the chilies with shallots. Set aside.



3. Then put all sauce ingredient in a pot, simmer until the sugar is completely dissolve.  Set aside.  (Don't worry if you make too much sauce. You can cover and refrigerate for 2 weeks.) 


Then make sure you have every ingredients ready before fire up your wok. 

4. Heat up the wok, add oil.  Deep fry the tofu and the dried shrimp.


5. Add in chilies and shallot paste and do a few quick stirs. 
6. Add in shrimp. When the shrimp is half cooked add in noodles and about 50 ml. of Pad Thai sauce.   
7. Then add in beaten egg and wait until it is half cooked. Stir to combine.

8. Add in chives, beansprouts, tofu and dried shrimp, do a few stirs.


Dish out. Serve with a lime wedge and ground peanuts.
Enjoy!!









   


You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. I always wanted to try to make Pad Thai. My husband likes this dish. Whenever we go to Thai restaurant he orders it. Looks so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by. My husband loves Pad Thai too.

    ReplyDelete