Fried Shrimp with Tamarind Sauce

by - January 14, 2013


RIMG4567

Tamarind must be one of the most versatile ingredients in Thai cuisine. The fruit pulp is used to make drinks, dips, sauces,  etc.  Many home cooks in Thailand added the immature tamarind 's leaves and flowers to their meat dishes for mild tamarind flavor. 

When I was in Bangkok I always stocked various forms of delicious tamarind snacks : dried and salted, candied, rolled with white sugar and chili powder. I love them all (probably too much). Now that I moved to Tokyo, I couldn't have tasty tamarind snacks as often as I wish. However, I still stock tamarind pulp in my pantry at all time as I don't think there is  any acceptable substitution for it. 

Today I am going to share with you Fried Shrimp with Tamarind Sauce recipe. It is one of the great tamarind recipes. The tangy, rich yet light and refreshing tamarind sauce makes plain fried shrimp a sophisticated and flavorful dish fit for you and your guests. For best result, I suggest you to use freshly made tamarind concentrate for this recipe. 

Ingredients 
Yields 2-3 servings Clock30 minutes
200 grams shrimp, shelled with heads and tails intact 
canola or other vegetable oil for deep frying 
for the sauce 
250 ml.tamarind concentrate (preferably homemade) 
2 tablespoon palm sugar 
1/2 tablespoon fish sauce 
1 tablespoon fried shallot
1. Deep fry the shrimp. As soon as it turns pink remove from heat. Why I deep fry the shrimp? Two reasons: to save the orangy fat and all the goodies in its head, to get the crispy texture I love. You sure can pan fry or shallow fry it as you wish. 
 2. Bring all the sauce ingredient to the boil.
3. Cook until the sauce is thicken. Then stir in fried shallots. 
4. Remove from heat. Ladle the sauce over the shrimp. Serve with steam rice. 



You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. Wow! Awesome pic! The presentation is just so beautiful!
    Thank you for dropping by my site and kind comment. By the way, do you speak Japanese?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nippon Nin for your lovely words. To answer your question, I can read and understand basic Japanese. If you feel like leaving a comment in Japanese, you're more than welcomed to do so.

    ReplyDelete