Tako Takikomi Gohan

by - November 07, 2011


Before I met my husband, I had been a completely novice in the kitchen. I didn't cook. I came to kitchen merely to make my tea or find some snack to nipple.


Although I enjoyed eating pretty much, I had no interest in cooking. And I didn't care when people called me Lazy/Horrible wife. :-) Why I had to sweat for an hour in the kitchen for something that disappear within a minute. And I was really a big fan of street foods paradise in Bangkok. 



After met my husband and then got married, then I changed a little : I cooked rice and prepare meals, rarely, though. And I would choose super quick easy recipes : fried rice, porridge, stir fried noodles. 


Since having a kid, a lot of people tell me that eventually I will need to learn to cook. Yes, they are right. My son deserves every nutritious home cooking meal. And I should be responsible for his future's health. Since then, I started to learn how to cook. I read cookbooks as if they were novels. I carefully selected and measured all ingredient and followed the recipe word by word. After some time, finally, I make little progress and I am happy! 


So no doubt every recipes I shared was always quick and easy, including today's. 


Takikomi Gohan is a Japanese rice dish seasoned with dashi, soy sauce along with vegetable, fried tofu and meat or fish.  It is very easy and can be a complete meal its own. Here I am sharing with you recipe for Takikomi Gohan with octopus, Tako Takikomi Gohan (Tako means octopus).


Ingredients 
3 cup Japanese rice
250 grams octopus (thinly sliced)
1 fried tofu (Aburaage), cut into strips 
1/2 carrot, slice
4 tablespoon men tsuyu
2 tablespoon sake
2 tablespoon mirin 
some mitsuba to garnish 

Method 

  • Wash the rice and let's drain in a colander for 30 minutes. Transfer to the rice cooker, add men tsuyu , sake and mirin to the rice. 
  • Then add the water up to "3", the number engraved inside your rice cooker. Stir gently. 
  • Add in octopus, carrot and fried tofu on top. 
  • Turn on the rice cooker. 
  • When the rice is cooked, let steam for 10 minutes. Fold to incorporate, garnish with mitsuba, serve hot. 








          

You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. Oishisooooooooooooooo!!! I'm really drooling here. I've never made Takikomi Gohan with octopus and I MUST try this someday.

    By the way, you changed the total look of your blog. At first I thought I jump into somewhere else. I really love your new design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nami,
    Thanks for your compliment and kind attention. And so sorry for the very late reply. I am neither designer nor tech savvy so it always take me a lot of effort to make any change in my blog.

    Have a nice day!
    I am visiting your blog soon.

    ReplyDelete