Massaman Curry (แกงมัสมั่น)

by - October 18, 2013

Curry is extremely popular in Thailand. You will be able to find it being offered in most Thai restaurants menu along with lemongrass chicken, stuffed crab, shrimp cakes and other traditional Thai dishes. There are various types of Thai curries. Thai Curry has not only the differentiation of red, yellow and green curry, but also the varying degree of spiciness; mild, medium and hot.  The spiciness of the curry I am going to share today is mild. 


My recipe requires Massaman curry paste. I recommend you to get it from Asian supermarket. Of course, you can try make it from scratch, but it does take a bit of time and effort. And the home made curry paste recipe calls for up to 14 ingredients. I have to pass on this he-he.  Even so, I spent exactly 1 hour in the kitchen, but I think it's worth for the really delicious curry. 

I used chicken for today curry but you can substitute with beef. The rest of ingredients are potatoes, onion, sugar, fish sauce, tamarind concentrate, of which I assume they're easily obtainable everywhere. Below is my Massaman curry recipe. Try it out, I am sure you like this.  
Ingredients 
2.5 tablespoon Mae Ploy Massaman curry paste 
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
300 grams chicken( bone-in, skin on please)
500 ml. coconut milk 
200 grams potatoes
200 grams onion 
0.5 tablespoon plam sugar 
1 tablespoon fish sauce
3 tablespoon tamarind concentrate


Preparation
1.Steam potatoes and onion until they're cooked. Cut into bite sized pieces, set aside.
Why I pre-cook the vegetable? 
--Just to get rid of some unpleasant gunk in the sauce. If you don't have a steamer, just cook them in your microwave oven. 

2.Heat your wok with vegetable oil, add in curry paste and stir fry until it is fragrant. 
3.Add in chicken and the coconut milk, cook it over low heat until the chicken is tender. 
4.Add in potatoes and onion, keep cooking until the oil starts to separate. Dish out, serve with steamed rice. 
  

You May Also Like

0 comments