Khanom Tuay (Coconut Milk Custard)

by - December 12, 2011

Khanom Tuay, ขนมถ้วย (Coconut Milk Custard), is one of very common, traditional 
and delicious coconutty Thai desserts. The name Khanom Tuay literary means "dessert in a bowl" in Thai derived from the fact that it is made in a small bite size porcelain cup.
 The dessert has  2 layers: the sweet chewy coconut milk based layer on the bottom with the thick coconut cream on top. 
In Rangsit, it is very common to find this dessert served by boat noodles vendors in their large barges docked in the roadside canals. It is sweet but not too sweet and not too heavy to have right after a bowl of noodles. Having boat noodles and khanom tuay in Rangsit was one of my favorite family activity when we (my family) were in Thailand.    

Despite my strong love for the dessert, I have never ever attempted at home, until recently. 
It was because I didn't own any small porcelain bowl and I didn't feel like making the dessert in a bowl which size differs from what I had in Bangkok. (The perfect size of the bowl is 3 inches diameter).  I had searched for a bowl high and low for several weeks that I almost gave up. However, on one fine day I just found the right bowls at Kappabashi, Japan's kitchen town. So my excuse vanished and I was very happy!   


Below is my authentic and easy khanom tuay recipe. 


Ingredients
bottom layer
1/2 cup rice flour
2 tablespoon arrowroot flour  
200 cc. thin coconut milk
50 cc. water 
120 grams palm sugar


Top layer
200 cc. coconut milk 
2 tablespoon rice flour 
1/2 teaspoon salt 




Method
1. If you use canned coconut milk likes me:-), make the thin coconut milk by placing 2 tablespoon of coconut milk in the measuring cup then add in water until the water level reaches 200 cc.  Then you will get 200cc. thin coconut milk. 

2. In a mixing bowl mix all the bottom layer ingredient , stir until the sugar completely dissolves, set aside. Then with another mixing bowl, mix all the top layer ingredient, set aside.   

3. Line porcelain bowls in a steamer, steam over the high heat for 5 minutes until the bowls are hot. Pour in the bottom layer mixture, cover the steamer and let cook for 10-12 minutes until is done. 

4. Then pour in the top layer mixture, cover the steamer and let cook for another 5-7 minutes. The top layer should be succulent and  soft but not runny. Be careful not to overcook otherwise the top layer will be too dry.

5. Remove from heat, serve warm.

 I hope you give a try someday. Khanom Tuay is very easy to make and will be sure to win the hearts of coconut  lovers!

























You May Also Like

4 comments

  1. thank you for your great posts! :)
    - fellow coconut (& asian food) lover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous, thanks for stopping by and please come back again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know how many calories there is in one piece of Kanom Tuay? :)

    Best wishes
    Maria
    andreasdottir@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Maria S I am sorry I don't know how much calories in one piece of this dessert. You can reduce the sugar amount to make it a bit healthier.

    ReplyDelete