Khao Niew Kaew (ข้าวเหนียวแก้ว)

by - April 15, 2013

I present to you Khao Niew Kaew (sweet shiny coconut sticky rice, ข้าวเหนียวแก้ว)   , a really popular dessert in Thai cuisine.  It is made with Thai glutinous rice (sweet rice, sticky rice, ข้าวเหนียว) , coconut milk, sugar and often colored with natural color wistfully obtained from pandan leaves (ใบเตย) for bright green color and fragrance.  But the color is up to what you like and what you can find at where you live. I colored my Khao Niew  Kaew with red cabbage juice and it gave me light purple color which was so pretty without leaving any smell or even undesirable veggie flavors at all.  


Maybe it's just me, there is something about this beautiful sweet coconuty dessert.  It always reminds me of celebrities, New Year's and family gatherings. Regardless of what color you choose, this shining dessert is a perfect addition to any festivities and any festive dessert table. I hope you enjoy making this pretty shining dessert at your home, I am sure it w
ill be the star of your holiday table. 

Below is my Khao Niew Kaew (sweet shiny coconut sticky rice, ข้าวเหนียวแก้ว) recipe.    


Ingredients 
yields 2-3 serving
cooking time :  60 minutes 

1 cup ( 155 grams) uncooked Thai glutinous rice 
60 cc. coconut milk
80 cc. thin coconut milk (หางกะทิ) 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
3 tablespoon red cabbage juice 
190 grams sugar 
some toasted sesame seeds 
Preparation

1. In a large bowl, put 1 cup of Thai glutinous rice. Cover with cold water. Immediately dispose the water. Repeat 2-3 times. 
2. Cover the rice with cold water. Let sit over night. 
3. Discard the water. Steam the rice over high heat for 30-40 minutes until is done. 
4. When the rice is done, quickly transfer it to the mixing bowl, pour in coconut milk. 


5. Stir to combine, cover with cling film. Let sit for 20-30 minutes until the coconut milk is absorbed by the rice. 

6. Prepare thin coconut milk by placing 3/4 tablespoon coconut milk in the measuring cup, add in water until the water level reaches 80 cc. Then you will get 80 cc. thin coconut milk. Transfer it to the pot, add in sugar, bring to the boil. Cook until the sugar completely dissolves. 



   7. Add the syrup and the red cabbage juice to the rice bowl. 

  8. Cook it over medium high heat with a double boiler or non stick pan. Stir often enough to prevent burning.  Cook until water almost all evaporates. Remove from heat. 


  9. Let cool.

10. Sprinkle with some toasted sesame seeds, serve at room temperature. 



    

You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. This is so cool looking! I'm so curious to see how the taste like, I should try this dish.

    I was able to see Cherry blossom in Tokyo and surrounding area last week. I felt so lucky! It was bit cold though, I had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Nippon Nin
    Try it out, I am sure you would love how it tastes too. Wow you were here last week seeing Cherry blossom, you were so lucky. The Cherry trees around my place were all falling. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete