Jungle Curry (แกงป่า)

by - September 30, 2013




Have you ever seen or tasted Jungle Curry before? It is actually one of the most popular curries in Thailand. Last week I just found out that it is one of the recommended menus  in a Thai restaurant in my neighborhood. So I assume that at least some people are familiar with it. Jungle curry is usually made with pork and assorted vegetable, often cooked in broth or water and season with red curry paste.It is fast to whip up, delicious and healthy.  
Jungle curry is one of my go- to recipes, whenever I 've had to many heavy meals and need to have my tummy a day off. The curry is naturally low in fat yet provide enough calories for an adult. 


For my recipe, I add Nam Prik Narok Pla Yang for depth and texture. Nam Prik Pla Yang is a chili dip made with grilled fish deboned and mingled with the familiar nam prik ingredients of fish sauce, lime juice and chilies to create a wonderfully smoked fish flavor. There are two kinds of Nam Prik Narok Pla Yang, the dry one and the watery one, I use the dry. For non-Thai readers, getting Nam Prik can be tough since there are crazy different types  of Nam Prik in the market, if you can't find it, just skip. 


Ingredients 
400 cc. water
2 tablespoon Mae Ploy red curry paste
150 grams pork butt, cut into bite sized pieces
10 grams fingerroot, cut into fine strips  
2.5 grams young green peppercorns
30 grams baby corn, cut into bit sized pieces
30 grams long beans
4-5 kaffir lime leaves
1 tablespoon Nam Prik Narok Pla Yang

Preparation
1. Bring water to a boil, add in red curry paste. Mix well. 
2. Add in pork. When the pork is cooked, add in vegetables, then add in kaffir lime leaves and Nam Prik. Remove from heat, serve immediately with steamed rice. 

You May Also Like

0 comments