Fried Red Snapper with Fish Sauce

by - September 05, 2011


Red Snapper is one of the most versatile fish. Its succulent meat has a distinctive, yet mild and sweet taste. This lean fish is great broiled, baked, grilled and served as Sashimi in Japan. It is one of my favorite fish.   Whenever I chance upon this delicious seafood, I rarely let the chance to whip something tasty slip by. 

Today I made Fried Red Snapper with Fish Sauce, one of the simplest recipes for fried fish but delicious nonetheless. I guarantee you'll love it.  I used whole Japanese snapper or "Tai"for this recipe and I highly suggest you to do so. Why is that? Two reasons : better quality, lower price. Buying whole is the best way to determine freshness and get the most from your purchase (The bones and head are not only edible but taste great after deep frying.).Buy a fish with firm flesh that springs back when pressed; eyes should be shiny and clear; and it should smell like the ocean, not fish. 

Now go and have your fishmonger to scale, gut and cut the fish for you. If you don't have a friendly fishmonger to cut the whole fish for you, follow my how-to below please!


Below is my Fried Red Snapper with Fish Sauce recipe. 


Ingredients 
300-350 grams Red Snapper
canola oil for deep frying 

for the sauce
0.5 tablespoon light soy sauce
3.5 teaspoon sugar
1.5 tablespoon fish sauce 
0.5 tablespoon oyster sauce 
1.5 tablespoon left over oil from frying the fish  


Method
1. Remove scales, gills, guts. Clean and pat dry.



2. Starting at tail end, run a fillet knife along the backbone in a smooth motion. (This may take more than one cut.)


3. Heat up the big wok with enough oil to deep fry fish. Deep fry the fish until golden crispy. Transfer to a serving plate.

4. Mix the all the sauce ingredient in a small bowl. Stir with a spoon until all the sugar dissolve completely. 
 5. Pour the sauce over the fish. Serve immediately with steamed white rice. (I didn't pour the sauce over my fish before taking this picture as I wanted my fish to stay crispy until the last bit. :-)) 






You May Also Like

0 comments