Braised Chicken with Spices
Braised Chicken with Spices (Ook Kai, อุ๊กไก่) is Northern Thai treat, which is unfamiliar here in Tokyo. Thai restaurants aboard typically serve Central Thai food, and often Chinese-Thai, reflecting the origin of the owners.
IngredientsYields 3-4 servings minutes
500 grams chicken (bone in, skin on, please)
1.5 tablespoon Mae Ploy red curry paste
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
3/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 stalk lemongrass, thinly sliced
5 kaffir lime leaves (ใบมะกรูด)
4-5 slices immature galangal (ข่า)
400 ml. water
1 teaspoon fish sauce
1/2 teaspoon sugar
a pinch of salt
1. Heat vegetable oil, add in red curry paste. Stir fry until aromatic.
2. Add in turmeric, lemon grass and galangal. Stir fry for 10 seconds.
3. Add in chicken. Stir fry for 30 seconds.
4. Add in water, season with fish sauce, salt, sugar, braise COVERED for 40-50 minutes.
5. When the sauce get reduced and the chicken is tender, tear in kaffir lime leaves. Cook for another few minutes. Remove from heat, serve hot.