Spicy Clams (หอยลายผัดเผ็ด)

by - July 01, 2013

Most Thais love clams especially ones stir fried with spicy sauce and I am no exception.  I grew up eating a lot of clams as my mother would buy them from our local market and cooked them into variety of delicious dishes such as, steamed clams with lemongrass, baked clams with garlic and this wonderful spicy clams. In my opinion, their briny and sweet flavors go well with almost any kind of sauce and spices. 

Since I moved to Tokyo 3 years ago, I have been introduced to Asari clams--the  Japanese clams that taste just as good as what I had in Bangkok. And the best part is the clams in Tokyo are so fresh and inexpensive --in fact, I 've never found the dead ones sold in the market. I wonder how the supermarket staffs sort out the dead ones, maybe they use some advanced machine? Humm, I gonna ask them when I become fluent in Japanese.  

It's said that the clams season in Japan is spring. I 've never believed so until recently. I got a bag full of clams from my favorite supermarket-- and cooked them into this spicy clams. Now, look how fat these clams are! They are so full in their shells, really juicy and taste so sweet. I am thinking of making this dish again and again before summer arrives. 


I hope you give this recipe a try and enjoy this tasty spicy clams with your love ones. Below is my spicy clams recipe

Ingredients 
350 grams Asari Clams
1/4 onion, sliced thinly
3 cloves Chinese garlic, chopped  
4 red chili peppers, cut diagonally  
1. tablespoon oyster sauce
1/2 tablespoon Thai light soy sauce (ซีอิ้วขาว)
1/2 tablespoon Thai roasted chili paste (นํ้าพริกเผา)
1 teaspoon sugar 
1 tablespoon water 
1.5 tablespoon vegetable oil for stir frying 
Preparation
1. Clean and de-gritting clams, set aside. 
2. Heat up your wok with vegetable oil. Add in garlic, onion and chili peppers, cook until fragrant. Add in clams, when the clams start to open, add in water and all the seasoning. Do few quick stirs, dish out, serve with steamed rice. 

You May Also Like

1 comments