Fried Puff with Pork Filling (ปั้นสิบ)

by - November 28, 2014

There are so many things that should come in size XL., e. g., computer screen, fridge, your pay check, etc. But at snack time, smaller really is better. Small sized snack will satisfy you but still leave room for the next meal. 

I love to cook mini snack for my 9 year old son, Koshi, who would eat the moment he gets home from school straight through dinner. Koshi is almost as tall as I am, and as thin as a rail, so I don't want to deny him food. Therefore, I try my best to keep his snack small, fresh and healthy as much as I can. Pansib, fried puff with pork filling is one of my go to after school snack recipes. 


Delicious crispy Panbib is the result of serious kneading of flour with egg and water, a resting time for the dough, and deep fry to golden goodness. The filling can be various but I usually make with pork filling, because my son flavors pork. If you don't want to deep fry, you definitely can bake. However, I feel obliged to tell you that the authentic recipe does not call for baking and the end result would not quite the same. 

So instead of giving you the "cheated" recipe, I will give you the authentic recipe which has been tried and tested for many time. If you have time and want to make Pansib from  scratch, please do so.           

Below is my Pansib recipe. 


Ingredients 

for the dough
3/4 cup all purpose flour
rice flour 1/2 cup rice flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
50 cc. coconut milk 
1 tablespoon water 

for the filling 
200 grams minced pork 
1/2 cups crushed roasted peanut
1/2 tablespoon minced coriander root
1/2 tablespoon chopped Thai garlic 
1/2 teaspoon white peppercorns 
2 tablespoon fish sauce
2 tablespoon palm sugar
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon oil for stir frying 
Preparation
1.Let start with the filling. With a pestle and a mortar, pound coriander root, Thai garlic and white peppercorns until they become a coarse paste. Set aside.  

2.Heat a fry pan with oil. Add in the paste from step 1. , stir fry until fragrant. Add in port and peanut.   
3. Keep cooking until the filling is cooked through and all the water is all gone. Dish out, let's cool.
4. In a mixing bowl, add in all the ingredients and knead well.
5. Let sit for 20 minutes
6. Roll the dough into balls in 1.5 cm. diameter.Flat the ball into circles. Scoop up 1 teaspoon of the filling, place at the center. Fold the dough over to make a half circle and crimp at edges. 
7. Deep fry in hot oil until golden. 



You May Also Like

0 comments