Krathong Thong (Crispy Pastry Cups with Minced Pork)
When it comes to snack, I love anything deep fried. Seriously, anything. It can be fried chicken, french fries, youtiao (Chinese donuts), onion ring, rice cracker ,chips, etc.
Deep frying may not be the most calories-poor way to prepare foods, but it certainly produce some of the world 's tastiest. Who doesn't love deep fried foods?
Despite a strong love for it, I hardly deep frying, because it is so hectic and really messy. And it's pain to dispose the leftover oil. So I find myself deep fry only for special occasions except for today.
The recent influenza outbreak in Japan forced many schools in Tokyo to close including my son's. And because of the flu was going around, he had to stay home watching TV., eating chips, pop corn and such all day long. Then, something weird happened, just this morning I discovered that we entirely ran out of snack.
As we couldn't go outside, I had to make my own.
Today I am sharing with you my delicious and easy Krathong Thong recipe. You might wonder what Krathong Thong mean. Kratong Thong literally means golden cups or golden baskets. These golden cups are made of the combination of rice flour, plain flour, soda water, an egg and sesame deep fried to golden crispy. The fillings of Krathong Thong are various: it can be stir fried minced pork, veggies, left over chicken curry, beef stew, tuna with mayo or mieng.
Although Krathong Thong is deep fried food, it is light and not greasy at all. And you can add any filling so your Krathong Thong won't be too "junky".
Do you still with me? I hope so.
I hope you enjoy making Kratong Thong. It is definitely "must try" for any gathering. I am sure it will impress not only yourself, but also your friends and family as well.
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup rice flour
4 tablespoon corn flour
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
280 cc. soda water
some black sesame
400 grams minced pork
200 grams carrot, diced, parboiled
200 grams sweet potato, diced, parboiled
1/2 onion, diced
4 tablespoon light soy sauce
2 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoon curry powder
1. Heat up the pan with some oil. Add in onion, stir fry until slightly soft. Add in pork, sweet potatoes, carrots, season with soy sauce, curry powder and sugar, Stir fry until is done and most liquid is gone. Set aside.
2. Mix all the pastry cup ingredients in the mixing bowl. Set Aside.
3. Heat up the pot with a lot of oil. Place the mold in the pot, wait until it is really hot. Then dip the mould into the pastry mixture. If the mould is hot enough, you should be able to hear the sound "sha". Then immediately plunge the mould back into the pot. Wait for 4-5 seconds, then press the mould down slightly so you will get the smooth bottom cups.
4. Shake off the mould. Deep fry until slightly golden.
5. Add in the filling just before serving. Serve warm.